WHATEVER WORKS





Austin and I went to see the exhibition of pages from Crumb's Genesis the other day and it got me excited about comics, reminding me how much an artist's style can modify the content of their words and vice versa.

I was kinda just walking through the exhibition, no big deal, until I noticed this panel from chapter 34 where Crumb had depicted a girl in such a way that she reminded me of a teenaged mall-rat, trying hard to look "adult:"




It was really powerful to me, a strong juxtaposition, the way the drawings modified the text, bringing this totally evocative association to my mind.

There were instances of this all over the place, the visceral, lurid quality of Crumb's drawings pushing up against the more detached Biblical prose. And the immensity of the project laid out spatially, how this insane amount of drawing resulted in an organized narrative made it feel like an amazing achievement.

We started talking about how Crumb (and most cartoonists) has internalized the vernacular of comics history and makes things according that particular set of rules. As great as Crumb is, he's also a good counterexample w/r/t his aesthetic conservatism. I brought up that there is no reason in the era of Photoshop and cheap printing for drawers to go through the steps printing deemed necessary 40 years ago. Surely, many folks have recognized this, but the ramifications of desktop publishing for comics are immense. As long as your images and words function in combination to create something that works and is cool, then you've made good comics. Scanning drawings made on paper and then tweaking them for printing could be eliminated in favor of directly making images using a computer. There aren't a lot of good examples of it so early in the game, but this newish technology will probably bear more interesting fruit in the future. This page:




by Frank Miller from The Dark Knight Strikes Again looks horrible by some aesthetic criteria, but I think it's amazing in its over-the-top garishness. The sense of freedom and lack of preciousness is exciting to me. I hope more kids use books like this as a jumping off point and start making tons of work, just getting their feet wet, not letting the rituals of an older generation overwhelm them in their complexity.

It would also be nice to see folks using analog tools and methods (collage, crayon, whatever mark-making instrument you can think of!) that stray from the ad hoc Bristol, pencil, pen. Austin, himself, is the best example of this I can think of:





There is no reason to be limited by the methods and visual forms of previous generations.

Digital or analog, the drawings can be whatever you want them to be. Luckily, with comics, context creates meaning. You don't have to render representationally in order to express something. Crumb draws in a very literal way. Though heavily stylized, the objects he draws faithfully represent a visual reality that corresponds with the narrative the text is trying to get across. There's a pretty heavy bias in comics toward representational imagery, but this doesn't have to be the case. The context created in a comic allows cartoonists to draw whatever they want, as long as they are getting their point across. Imagery can be expressive, minimal, contradictory, anything. Comics are as much telling as showing and meaning can be gleaned from the text as easily as from the drawings. The opposite is true, as well. Drawings can offer information that is impossible to convey as text. Subtleties of mood, existential details, or even the process of mark-making itself can add nuance to the work. And the style does not have to cohere, though cartoon signifiers are useful for maintaining clarity. For example, the character I mainly use in comics always has a dark left eye and light right eye:




This allows me to change the way he looks often, while it is still clear that it's the same character. Again, as long as the overall story or idea is being expressed clearly, anything goes. The intersection of words and pictures produces something new. Comics create a specific space.




The exhibition was poorly set up, by the way. There was very little background information on Crumb's process or materials. There were colored, enlarged photocopies of drawings of characters in the book pasted on the walls in a way that seemed to signify that this was pop culture that you didn't have to take seriously. Alas.





29 comments:

STICK WITH ME! said...

in light of several recent 'heavy hitting' posts and related posts, the title of this post is nice.

i love the idea of artists deciding shit of their own pure accord, especially in regards to the bizarre comics critical landscape

whatever codes and symbols they need to get through their narrative or drawing experiment. whether it's a chapter of the bible or a blacked-in left eye. this totally goes for ink versus acrylic, or 'recluse' versus 'performer' as well.

imitator versus original. swords clash, shatter...relativity swarms!!

...we all get back to fucking work.
hallelujahhh

Coincidence? said...

i'd rather we have ONLY a few fucking rules, and i do not like this particular post

Anonymous said...

overby rules, it's no 'coincidence'

let him have his say

Jason Overby said...

There are no rules, only possibilities.

Uland said...

Historicism— if I understand it correctly— is going on when you take specific historical features, broad or acute, and then a) look at whatever else is going in that light, or b) make assumptions about the shape of things to come based on those features.
It's one of the reasons why Marxism is really problematic; it suggests some kind of ability to make assumptions about human behavior, and the course of the future, based on dialectic materialism. It suggest that history is moving in one, inevitable direction. That was the rationale for the Marxist idea of revolution; it's going to happen anyway and we're prolonging misery, and thereby participating in injustice, by not attempting to bring about the revolution now.
I don't think I need to go into how wrong-headed that is. Marxists were proven wrong time and time again when people wouldn't drop "atavistic" traditions and associations in order to bring about the workers utopia; it's not so much that these traditions are "old", and therefore of no "use", it's that they help satisfy a perennial set of desires that are pre-rational, or supra-rational.
Figure drawing is one of those traditions. It's irrational, now that we have film, to put so much effort into it, but it's not reason that is being satisfied when we want to make art . I hope so, anyway.
If that's what you want, just strip away all the irrational, subjective garbage and get really into Mathematics.
Anyhow, I think that's going on here, to a certain extent, you Commie bastard. These newer technologies won't necessarily change the shape of comics. They won't render the traditional language of comics moot, and it's historicism in action when you suggest that these traditions are holding people back from engaging in an inevitable "new".

Uland said...

So, I just read up on Historicism, and there's much more to it than what I wrote..My line of thought is more a critique of Marxist use of Hegels' "historical inevitabilities". Take it as you will.

Uland said...

...

Jason Overby said...

I didn't mean to imply that this change is necessary, just that it's possible to make images differently from how cartoonists have historically done so and that there are folks doing that right now. There is no inevitable thrust of history. "The future" is always a Rube Goldberg contraption, circumstance creates it, not some futurist utopian.

I wanted to throw in this quote from Eno somewhere:

" Digital is too deterministic. At the purely electronic level, there are very few molecules involved, and their behavior is amplified. The closer you get to the “real” instruments – including physical devices such as tapeheads, tape, loudspeaker cones, old echo units, analogue synths – the more molecules are involved, and the closer you get to a ‘probabilistic’ condition…"

And say how, in my own work more recently, I've been trying to use Photoshop in conjunction with Bristol, pen nibs, pencil, collage to get this hybrid that is more than its components. The large amount of process I usually go through is a nod to the organic development of history, how it never develops along the lines of any plan. I try to force myself to work slowly to subdue the impulse to control.

But anyway, I just wanted to say with this post that people shouldn't limit themselves to what history has shown them. If they can't draw or use a Hunt 102, they can still plunge ahead, and the results might be more interesting because of that.

Austin English said...

http://www.arthurmag.com/2010/07/21/island-mountain-michaela-colette/

I really like how Mickey Z uses computer coloring on this...if you're gonna color on the computer, why not go nuts with it like this?

Austin English said...

i also love the lettering.

Uland said...

I hear you, Jason. I don't know that the results will necessarily be more interesting. I think assuming that requires a little too much of a purely formal view of comics for me. I think regardless of certain formal properties, what's going to make something relevant has to do with the information being conveyed. The "point" of the story, in other words.
Comics are still a form of literature to me more than anything else. I like what goes on here, but sometimes it comes off like concrete poets in 1955 telling everybody their work is the future of literature..

Uland said...

"http://www.arthurmag.com/2010/07/21/island-mountain-michaela-colette/"

YUCK.

Jason Overby said...

"I think regardless of certain formal properties, what's going to make something relevant has to do with the information being conveyed. The "point" of the story, in other words.
Comics are still a form of literature to me more than anything else."

Yep - definitely agreed. The lack of approachability of the medium as it stands could hinder some amazing storytellers from entering the field, though.

Austin - I love how she just goes balls to the wall. Ugly as hell like Zach Hazard.

Ian Harker said...

Avant-Garde Ameri-Manga 4EVA!

Budgerigar said...

"Comics are still a form of literature to me more than anything else."

this is a totally limiting position

you have so many rules man

King Solomon said...

Rules are awesome,

....but they can be dismissed and shattered with choices, just like possibilities, man....

Uland said...

It's not like I come up with a list of rules and then check them off before I can like something. It's the opposite; these are things I've figured out about the comics I like and the comics I don't.
It's not like "literature" is a narrow term, anyhow.There's a lot of crazy, experimental literature out there ( not that I'm interested). Just Sayin.

Jason Overby said...

Yeah - I thought they were talking about me, and I was being sarcastic. There's always going to be approaches or content that I like better than others, but that doesn't necessarily make them any more "comics" than alternatives I'm not too fond of. So do whatever you want, don't follow a formalist system, but that doesn't mean I or anydody else is gonna like what you made.

Desert Island said...

"Scanning drawings made on paper and then tweaking them for printing could be eliminated"

It's true, you don't need paper. You don't need printing either. Your comic art could be completely dematerialized, distributed on the ipad or whatever, and tons of people could access it directly.

The questions are:
1) do you care about the idea of an original artwork?
2) do you believe in printed books as an art form?

I strongly believe in both, but I realize my kind are dying out.

Anyway, Robert Crumb purchased his house in France with seven sketchbooks.

Ian Harker said...

As far as "rules" go, I always create a billion rules for myself whenever I'm drawing. Rules about tools, or rendering techniques, process, you name it. Shit that nobody would ever even perceive most likely. It sorta motivates me to cling to some contrived ethos. I don't know why I do it, I know I should be more pragmatic.

DerikB said...

There's a rather large tradition of rule-based artwork, primarily in poetry, but also in other forms of art, including comics. It's something I've blogged about quite a lot over the years:
http://madinkbeard.com/blog/archives/category/constraint

Saying you can create art without rules is bullshit. Much better to accept the rules and take control of them.

Jason Overby said...

"1) do you care about the idea of an original artwork"

No (aka can of worms central on this blog) - I can do so much more if I combine things on the computer. Plus, where do you stop? Is white-out ok? Crumb used lots of it on the Genesis pages. If I wanted to make "art" to sell I'd make drawings that specifically work as drawings. Crumb's sketchbooks aren't comics.

"2) do you believe in printed books as an art form?"

Not sure.

As far as rules go - my comics usually have something to do with systems, degrading systems, the success or failure of systems. I use lots of rules to embark upon projects, but those generally get thrown out the window or change somewhere along the way. Comics, traditionally, use lots of rules, I think (character designs, panel borders, sizes of panels, font, etc.) to limit the chaos and provide readability. But when I look at Chris Ware, for instance, I just see the rules and it feels like I have to wade through concrete to get to the content.

Jason Overby said...

"Crumb's sketchbooks aren't comics."

oops! What a stupid thing to write. I meant that they weren't (probably) meant to cynically exploit a market for his work. Or made specifically as a perfect art-artifact of his process of making a comic. And he's fucking Crumb! He just so naturally makes beautiful pages - seeing them in person and thinking about my own "originals" made me not have to worry any more about putting things together piecemeal. It was either that or blow my brains out...

Frank Santoro said...

read AIR GUITAR by Dave Hickey - he's got an essay about how basketball changed it's rules and how it changed the game - then he relates that to rules in art...

Ian Harker said...

They changed the rules because all the white guys didn't like Lew Alcindor dunking on them!

Jason Overby said...

reading it... good book.

Jason Overby said...

that essay relates to this story about Stravinksy...

Jason Overby said...

you gotta be a shark...

tim goodyear said...

the only rules worth a damn are the ones you make for yourself

no need to apawligize for have'n meat head taste