INSPIRATION


I started ordering comics from people in the late 90s/early 00s. The sender would almost always include a crude sketch ("Thanks!") or weird drawings on the envelope, and it brought the act of producing these things closer to me. I mentioned in my previous post that I would post pics of stuff sent my way so here are some of the amazing mailings I've received from people over the last ten or so years:





























..........................................................................


13 comments:

Blaise Larmee said...

when sending out packages, someone will get the 'best' and someone will get the 'worst'

usually they won't know which they are getting

reproduced work (the book/zine itself) avoids that inequality, but feels more distant

it's a relief in a way, sending books to amazon, knowing that a robot will process it

it's also a relief drawing something and not having to deal with it again (like graffiti)

re the last comment of the last post, i agree - drawing is an expressive verb

Jesse McManus said...

....this post makes me get all teary-eyed!!

'fraid so
'fraid so

DAWN/DAY OF THE DEAD said...

like sending scared children to school for the first time

but getting photos of the play they put on at recess, years later

Jason Overby said...

"it's also a relief drawing something and not having to deal with it again (like graffiti)"

"but getting photos of the play they put on at recess, years later"

hope everybody's ok with me airing their dirty laundry!

Jason Overby said...

"when sending out packages, someone will get the 'best' and someone will get the 'worst'"

always feel like I'm getting a good deal. The act of drawing is pleasing and fun and making these be-doodled objects is much freer than drawing actual comics. It feels like an escape for me.

dylan sparkplug said...

I like that Toth Comics Journal

Jason Overby said...

Duh! It's got Austin's review of Blankets in it! from when he was 5!

Austin English said...

dylan has some good reviews in that issue too, if memory serves.

Desert Island said...

So let's all mail stuff to each other all the time.

Jason Overby said...

I think that's pretty much mostly what small press cartoonists do.

VOMITS VOMITS said...

i just inherited a nice case of pink-eye from a small child

i dont think i need an envelope to send it around

catch you later bros

Rob Clough said...

Somehow I thought I was the only one who kept envelopes and notes from comics I receive. Mr. Overby did an amazing job with a comic he sent me recently, by the way.

The all-time champ of value-added drawings is Dan Zettwoch. Every time I ordered something from the Cat. shop, he'd toss in an amazing drawing.

GROMMETS GROMMETS said...

@VOMITS VOMITS

let the government tax it, pass along de virus, hit the Eye of Providence where it hurts:

real xtreme r(/d)evolution