"I thought long and hard about what to write about today, to be honest, and while [Comets Comets] is charming in a youthful way (and I don’t for a second mean that in a condescending way — I admire the verve and love for the medium on display, but just don’t recognize the artists and publishers being referred to — they’re not the ones I know, and it’s not a history I engage with) that tempts me to write something alternately inspirational and downbeat, no good can come of it."
"Just Fucked" by Dan Nadel
feeling fucked
austin told me about this shout out today and i got really excited
i jumped a couple times while thinking about how long the parenthetical was
at one point i sunk to my knees
21 comments:
I'm confused, why exactly was he referring to this blog?
I'm staying out of this one, haha
HAPPY FATHERS DAY
"I'm confused, why exactly was he referring to this blog?"
penis-envy
by a mere mention, hensley obliterates bridges, blasts walls
nadel, let's all get together sometime for a game of cat's cradle
you bring the yarn
Unless I'm misreading, Dan is saying that there just isn't enough common currency available on this blog to allow him entry. I agree.
The hard work of presenting concepts in terms that speak to a prevailing consensus ( if only to shatter that consensus) isn't getting done.
I'm going to do my best, in the hopes that this blog succeeds, to avoid speculating about why this isn't happening.
I think a good tip for writing criticism is to do your best to think about what the dominant perception of a given subject or field, or idea, might be, and then argue from that base.
After re-reading his blurb in context, I think he was trying to say that the post he was writing about Wally Gropius was CometsComets-esque in it's enthusiasm/unfocusedness. Backhanded shout-out maybe?
I think Dan Nadel is saying he comes from a different place than [Comets Comets], that [Comets Comets] is not his world but he respects it
I don't think he is asking for [Comets Comets] to change in any way
"I think a good tip for writing criticism is to do your best to think about what the dominant perception of a given subject or field, or idea, might be, and then argue from that base."
yeah, and who cares if 90% of the time it just sounds like Hipster RunOff anyways!
"Dan is saying that there just isn't enough common currency available on this blog to allow him entry. I agree."
in practical terms, he would have an easy enough time stepping in, if he chose to. among his own bridge-crossing peers, santoro's presence is warm and clearly appreciated.
the lack of hinges on the doors of 'co-mix' is what allows for the blissful chaos abounding, the heavy load of comments and the cross-eyed glee that several dudes seem to be getting from it.
in other words, the welcome mat is well-used, the kettle is on all night. if dan came to play, i bet he'd smack the pinata with professional force.
have you seen Dance your Ass off? That's the atmosphere i want around here.
Orson- I think when Dan is saying he doesn't recognize the artists being talked about here, he doesn't mean that literally. He means that the way they are described here is not like how he'd describe them, to the point where you might as well be talking about different artists.
So it's not that this is an unfriendly place ( though I always feel some underlying hostility in attempts to out randomize/ironicize each other with nonsensical comments, like they're above taking anything seriously. That can be done on campus, kids. Save it for the Friday night noise show.),
It's just that the text is usually impenetrable.
This is in the top five most "meta" comment section of Comments Comments.
In some alternate, more just Universe, Herb Trimpe is laughing and crying while kicking all of your sorry asses.
Herb Trimpe is a false god.
GO TEAM COMICS!
My dad can beat up your dad!
really dudes,
we should have a hensley post instead of a nadel post
that is, if we really wanted to match the fire, match the fury
just trying to peel back the curtain
make this shit as 'meta' as possible
dude
is team comics back
team comets
Post a Comment